Monday, 11-Dec-2017 12:49:29 EST
The iPad Pro (2015), with Pencil, was what I thought the iPad should have been all along.
iOS 11 does the same for iOS.
(Free unless otherwise noted.)
- VoIP phone:
- Google Hangouts, using Google Voice (for incoming calls). Requires Google account.
- Deleting a conversation is well hidden (not just swipe left/click-&-hold, etc.): Select "..." in upper right-hand corner, then "Options > Delete conversation".
- To call emergency numbers, you have to actually know the number (not just "911"), like in the olden days.
- Any of various iOS apps
(or, with more difficulty, Mac app Apple Configurator) installs fonts.
- Full apps
- Not free → prohibited from using pdftex; produce dvi.
- Texpad ($15) doesn't allow use of an arbitrary font in the editor (but is promised soon).
- TeX Writer ($10) doesn't support Mac OS Roman encoding (but iOS does).
- But I need both features to use my extended ASCII font, since arXiv.org still doesn't accept XeTeX/LuaTeX.
To take advantage of it, I would use €,£, or ¥ (or ⌥ , assigned to a customizable key), as a prefix replacement for the Option key for shortcuts.
- It would also be nice to have iCloud. (Texpad now has source-pdf window syncing?)
- iMessage app:
Vulcanize does primitive Teχ & includes stickers (which can also be used for plain text).
- RSS: Feedly. (Requires gmail account.)
- Safari add-ons:
- Scanner Pro ($4, but free when I got it) is the best of the scanner software I've tried. Unlike Notes, does OCR. (It helps to choose a contrasting background, & avoid glare/shadows.)
- Uni Keyboard has pretty much all symbols (except languages).
- 32-bit apps unsupported: find list (if they exist) under Settings > General > About > Applications
- "fastest" browser
- autoplay blocking
- Intelligent Tracking Prevention
- scans credit cards
- Pages can be opened in desktop mode: Tap on URL, then pull down icon menu.
- Split View (2 tabs @ once): drag tab to edge.
- Tap & hold on "+" in Safari menu to get Recently Closed Tabs.
- Tap & hold on Tabs icon to close all tabs with Close ... Tabs.
- Access iCloud.com if you Request Desktop Site. (Tap & hold the Reload button ↻, or choose from the Share menu.) Can't guarantee how well it'll work.
- better syncing (esp. deletion): in iOS 11.3?
- apps can be reordered
- Messages App store: has its own stickers, but they aren't installed by default: Hands, Smileys, Hearts, Classic Mac.
- Stickers can be enlarged/rotated by pinching/swiping before attaching.
- Bubbles & stickers can be removed locally by pressing & choosing appropriate option.
- makes this annoying "gloop?gloop." sound when messages are exchanged. Settings > Sounds > Text Tone > None will kill this, any other choice gives those same sounds.
- Draw (handwriting) (with Pencil)
- searchable handwriting
- shared notes alerts
- QR codes
- Possible ways to improve photos:
- Volume keys to snap photos
- Burst shot, in later devices (touch & hold)
- HDR, in later devices
- type to it (Accessibility)
- Mail: Move to Junk under the flag menu. From a Mac (or Windows), rules can be set up @ iCloud.com, which will work on both your iPad & in Mail on your Mac if you use iCloud as your mail server (better than setting up rules in Mail on your Mac).
- Add Greek keyboard in Settings > General > International > Keyboards. (But it's so smart it replaces σ with ς @ end of a "word".)
- Unicode characters (e.g., math in Mail/Messages):
- Find them:
- Automatic substitution ("shortcuts") while typing:
- Built-in (e.g., 1/2 → ½), or
- Added (e.g., ^2 → ²):
Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts.
- Automatically transferred from synced Mac. (See my macOS page for how to get them there.)
- Shouldn't use upper-case.
- iCloud file sharing: choose Add People; other options just ship file copy (i.e., non-iCloud file sharing)
- Mac-like features for iPad:
- Files: "Finder" (replaces iCloud Drive app)
- Drag and Drop (incl. multiple drag)
- App Switcher
- Dock fits ≤ 15 apps, incl. app folders
- screen recording
- Print (under Share) includes save to PDF, opens in any compatible app: (un)pinch the preview.
- Mute doesn't, unless Settings > Sounds > Change with Buttons.
Also, you can set your (default) ringtone to a silent file, transferred from your computer via iTunes syncing.
(You can choose other ringtones for individuals in Contacts.)
- To return to iOS 9 way of unlocking with Touch ID: Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button > Rest Finger to Open.
- If buttons won't work:
- for turning on, use cable to connect to power
- for turning off, Settings>General>Shut Down
- Choosing to edit a contact in Contacts reveals a Ringtone preference.
- Shake to correct error.
- Tap @ top of window to scroll to top.
- Bluetooth will drain the battery on your Pencil after about a week. So if you plan on not using it for a while (like overnight), keep it out of range of your iPad Pro.
- For more details on any version of iOS, get the iBook "User Guide" (e.g., "iPad User Guide for iOS 11").
- Sometimes my iPad Pro can't find my Pencil. I have to re-pair it (sometimes also telling the Bluetooth Settings of my iPad Pro to "Forget This Device").
- Don't connect to VGA before typing in your access code: It gets mirrored!
- You have to check for updates to Airport base stations in Airport Utility.
- I had intermittent WiFi connections (even to my Apple TV). So I did a soft reset of my Airport Extreme. (It's useful to have WiFi/internet connection docs on your device, since that's one time you can't Google.)
- Under General in the Settings app:
- The time shown was slow by 20 min. I unset & reset Date & Time > Set Automatically.
- My iPad was connected to WiFi (bars in menu), but telling me it wasn't (error messages in apps). I had to Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- I couldn't get my iPads to accept an apple-touch-icon. (The png looked fine in a Safari window.) Changing the ColorSync Profile to "iMac" fixed it. (It was "Generic RGB Profile".)