Wednesday, 24-Sep-2014 13:17:49 EDT
- (Maybe they should call it "iOSemite".)
- Will run on anything that ran the previous 2 versions.
- OS X Yosemite/iOS 8
- Free in October.
- iCloud Drive (5 GB free) makes all of iCloud easily accessible from all apps, Finder, iOS, Windows, & iCloud.com.
- History shared with other devices, can be cleared for various recent periods.
- Scrolling tab bar.
- System Preferences > Extensions:
- Actions: Markup gives new image editing options in any viewer (Preview, Mail, ...).
- Today: widgets to customize Notification Center.
- in Safari
- opens its own window in Finder
- iPhoto ⊂ Photos early next year.
- Preview lets you create signatures using the trackpad instead of the camera.
- Finder has batch renaming. ("Right-click" multiple selected files for menu item.)
OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- BetterTouchTool assigns more stuff to trackpads, etc. I use it to allow tapping in the corners to replace the Home & End keys (which don't exist on my new wireless keyboard), closing windows (⌘W), ⌘-click in Safari & Mail, & Enter Full Screen (⌃⌘F) elsewhere.
- Meteo(rologist) is my favorite weather menu item. (I don't even display Dashboard in Mission Control.)
- GarageBand will convert ≤ 40 sec. segments of videos into ringtones.
- Singer Song Reader adds lyrics to metadata of iTunes music.
Front end for MacTeX.
(Doc: paste this link by hand.)
- SyncTeX: ⌘-click on input/output to find same spot in other window; works with Full Screen.
- Auto Save & Versions.
- Safari extension arXivTeXifier (included in spires.app) TeX's in the arXiv listing abstracts of people too lazy to get rid of all those $'s.
- Flashmode automatically TeX's while you're typing. (Haven't tried it yet.)
- MacFusion is an interface to
FUSE for OS X (OSXFUSE; include MacFUSE Compatibility Layer), which
mounts (s)ftp volumes as the Finder should, so you can add files, & edit with TextEdit.
- MacFusion has a bug : You can't delete entries in the server list. Instead, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Macfusion/Filesystems & delete them there (by date).
- Xcode (from the Mac App Store, also in menu) includes:
- FileMerge compares 2 text files (& merges) with a nice interface. (If you want to access it directly, you can make an alias to the file in Contents/Applications; as usual, access Contents of an app by right-clicking & selecting Show Package Contents.)
- iOS Simulator shows what your web pages look like in iOS. (Separately found in Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Applications.) If you choose Hardware > Device> iPad (Retina), it will be huge.
- Note: Simulators & Command Line Tools now need to be downloaded separately via Preferences... > Downloads > Components. (Requires free developer account.)
- Also available: various versions of Fortran;
CERNLIB & other HEP.
- In case you lost them, here are some ancient Mac system sounds.
- NetNewsWire for RSS.
- iCloud Keychain: can AutoFill even when websites resist, if password required after period of sleep
- Power Saver blocks Flash ads
- Safari Extensions (link in Safari menu) install automatically from Apple's site:
- Franker translates selected text/whole page, inserting translation following original.
- Tabletoy allows floating table headers & sorting by columns.
- Blocks flash.
- Replaces it with HTML5 when available (e.g., on YouTube), & allows downloading it.
(Also Media Center downloads HTML5 stuff more generally.)
- YouTube Lyrics shows lyrics for YouTube music videos.
- If audio is played as Flash instead of HTML5, it can be saved using Soundflower & QuickTime Player: Set the sound output in System Preferences, & the microphone in New Audio Recording in QuickTime Player (but leave its volume @ minimum), to "Soundflower (2ch)".
- Ad blocking: GlimmerBlocker (Java), http proxy (in System Preferences; for all all browsers, & even RSS readers).
- If there is a Java vulnerability specifically affecting web browsers (i.e., @ certain web sites), you can disable Java in Safari Preferences... > Security. This won't affect GlimmerBlocker or the other Java apps listed below.
- When subscribing to filters, note the preference "Automatically update subscription".
- MathML (needs work).
- QuickTime (7) Plug-in will view QuickTime Virtual Reality & MIDI files, which QuickTime (X) Player won't. (GarageBand will import & edit MIDI.)
- Vector graphics ("draw"):
- Allows editing of PDF (including conversion to PS).
- Lots more tools than basics: e.g., gradient shading, transparency, primitive 3D.
- Retuns to Select tool after use of any other tool (unlike Inkscape).
- Includes text editor (Writer) that's better at reading MS Word files than TextEdit (but so is Quick Look).
- 3D graphics (raytracing, etc.): Art of Illusion (Java);
saves as JPG (e.g.), but Preview will convert to PDF.
- Bitmap graphics ("paint"):
- Gimp is more powerful but more awkward.
Now native (no X11/XQuartz). Compiled by:
Simone Karin Lehmann or
- Due to interface bugs, you may want to use Windows > Single-Window Mode for now.
- If you want more themes (e.g., Aqua), you can install them the hard way in
Contents > Resources > share > gimp > 2.0 > themes.
- JaxoDraw (Java) draws Feynman diagrams with just the trackpad/mouse. (Others require programming & specifying coordinates.)
FidoCadJ (also Java) does the same with circuit diagrams.
- Substitution, built-in (e.g., 1/2 → ½) or added (e.g., ^2 → ²).
Set up in System Preferences… > Personal > Language & Text > Text.
Use menu item Edit > Substitutions > Text Replacement.
Great if you like to type math (in email, e.g.) as Unicode.
- ⌥⌫ deletes words.
- 2-finger single tap (right-click on mouse) on a typo to choose a correct spelling is easier than retyping.
⌃T between 2 letters to transpose them.
Also note the menu item Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Correct Spelling Automatically.
- 3-finger swipe (click & drag with mouse) to select text as contiguous letters.
1-finger double-tap (select word) & 3-finger swipe (double-click & drag with mouse) to do it with words.
Triple-tap (-click) with paragraphs.
- Character Viewer for all Unicode characters (e.g., math in Mail):
"Edit > Special Characters...", or add directly to Title Bar by selecting in
"System Preferences… > Personal > Language & Text > Input Sources".
(See also my Unicode page.)
- STIX fonts (now included in OS X) have TeX characters, useful in figures, MathML, etc.
- Preview form input. (But for reading the output in Acrobat, save by printing to PDF, or see this article.)
- In a home folder window, View > Show View Options > Show Library Folder.
- Screen Sharing (also in Messages) allows remote control of your Mac (even over the internet).
- ⌘⇧4 to select portion of screen for snapshot, or hit space
for camera to select window (or dock, menu bar, or desktop for all).
- To create an alias while dragging, hold down ⌥⌘. (⌥ alone creates a copy.)
- You can stick any files you want in iCloud ☁. I put a TeX file in my iCloud TextEdit directory, & tex it there. (This is the reverse of running an app in the cloud.) ← will be irrelevant in Yosemite
- Apple keynote coverage (or maybe it's this one now)
- To get to the Dock in Full Screen mode, go "past" the bottom.
- Enlarge cursor: System Preferences > Accessibility > Display.
- To add a keyboard shortcut for a menu item, System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts. If you want to add a shortcut for something with an ambiguous "last name", you need to give the full Menu Title, separated by "->" (not ">") w/o spaces.
- In LaunchPad, drag an item on top of another to create a folder; hold ⌥ to get wiggly icons with X's for deletion.
- Grapher (in Applications > Other) also does equations nicely;
for arithmetic, just delete the "x=" (or whatever) & type.
You can even export the equation as (La)TeX: Use the secondary click & select the menu item.
- Quicktime Player does screen video capture.
- Preview ("features"?):
- No more bookmarked files (just bookmarks in files).
- I have to reset to Table of Contents after going to FullScreen; then I can't hide it.
- Doesn't always open pdf's to the last opened page.
- My mouse cursor frequently disappears upon waking from sleep, or sometimes freezes shortly after. It isn't the batteries (charge or brand). Usually if I take the batteries out & put them back in, or unscrew & rescrew the screw that holds them in, or just bang on that end of the trackpad, that fixes it.
- If you get disconnected from Ethernet,
you can restart the connection with
this AppleScript that contains the code:
do shell script "sudo ifconfig en0 down; sudo sleep 10; sudo ifconfig en0 up" with administrator privileges
- General fixes for new bugs, not associated with system/app upgrade, not described on the Web:
- Restart the app. If the problems persist,
- Delete the preference files for that app in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple. ... after quitting. Empty the trash.
You may also need to restart, if it's system-wide.
Of course, you'll lose all your preferences.
- When a file won't delete because it claims it's in use, Secure Empty Trash.