Tuesday, 30-Apr-2019 09:40:33 EDT
(Free unless otherwise noted.)
- Password Assistant directly brings up the Password Assistant that can otherwise be invoked only by Keychain Access > New Password Item > 🔑 . Useful if you need to modify 's suggested passwords because of a website's demands to use special characters, e.g.
- BetterTouchTool ($6) assigns more stuff to trackpads, etc. I use it to allow tapping in the corners to replace the Home & End keys (which don't exist on my new wireless keyboard), closing windows (⌘W), ⌘-click in Safari & Mail, & Enter Full Screen (⌃⌘F) elsewhere.
- GarageBand will convert ≤ 40 sec. segments of videos into ringtones.
- Singer Song Reader adds lyrics to metadata of iTunes music.
Front end for MacTeX.
- Doc: select by hand file:///usr/local/texlive/2018/doc.html.
- To convert pdf → eps, open the pdf in TeXShop, choose the "Selection" tool in the Preview window toolbar, select the desired rectangle (or all, either with ⌘-A or manually), choose "Preview > Save Selection to File...", & save as eps.
If that doesn't work, TeX the pdf in a file 1st.
- FUSE for OS X
mounts (s)ftp volumes as the Finder should, so you can add files, & edit with TextEdit.
- MacFusion is an interface to FUSE; get a
For each drive configuration, MacFusion > Mount Point: /Users/(your username)/Volumes/(some name) .
- Xcode (from the Mac App Store, also in menu) includes:
- FileMerge compares 2 text files (& merges) with a nice interface. (If you want to access it directly, you can make an alias to the file in Contents/Applications; as usual, access Contents of an app by right-clicking & selecting Show Package Contents.)
- Simulator shows what your web pages look like in iOS. (Separately found in Contents/Developer/Applications.)
- Note: Simulators & Command Line Tools now need to be downloaded separately via Preferences... > Components. (Requires free developer account.)
- Also available: various versions of (g)Fortran;
CERNLIB & other HEP.
- In case you lost them, here are some ancient Mac system sounds.
- RSS: Reeder ($10, free when I got it) or Leaf ($10, but I got it when it was free), because they use Feedly to sync with my iPad. Also, the more basic Feedly.
- icons in tabs
- better security, including automatic strong passwords
- Safari Extensions from Safari Extensions Gallery (or elsewhere) → Safari App Extensions from App Store (only)
- Ad blocker: Ka-Block! (also on iOS)
- "fastest" browser
- autoplay blocking
- Intelligent Tracking Prevention
- iCloud Keychain: can AutoFill even when websites resist, if password required after period of sleep
- If audio is played as Flash instead of HTML5, it can be saved using Soundflower & QuickTime Player: Set the sound output in System Preferences, & the microphone in New Audio Recording in QuickTime Player (but leave its volume @ minimum), to "Soundflower (2ch)".
- MathML looks great.
- Vector graphics ("draw"):
- Allows editing of pdf (including conversion to ps, but not eps).
- Lots more tools than basics: e.g., gradient shading, transparency, primitive 3D.
- Returns to Select tool after use of any other tool (unlike Inkscape).
- Bitmap graphics ("paint"):
- Gimp is powerful but awkward. Now native (no X11/XQuartz).
- Krita is a possible alternative. (Haven't tried it yet.)
- Java apps:
- 3D graphics (raytracing, etc.): Art of Illusion;
saves as JPG (e.g.), but Preview will convert to PDF.
(More powerful/awkward alternative is Blender, including the plug-in for the free version of RenderMan.)
- JaxoDraw draws Feynman diagrams with just the trackpad/mouse. (Others require programming & specifying coordinates.) Now only the ".jar" file works, not the ".app". (Somebody needs to use javapackager.)
- FidoCadJ does the same with circuit diagrams.
- Require installation of Java JDK.
- Unicode characters (e.g., math in Mail/Messages):
- Substitution (useful also in iOS):
- Built-in (e.g., 1/2 → ½), or
- Added (e.g., ^2 → ²):
System Preferences… > Keyboard > Text.
Use menu item Edit > Substitutions > Text Replacement.
- Emoji & Symbols:
- Edit > Emoji & Symbols, or add directly to Title Bar by selecting in
System Preferences… > Keyboard > Input Sources.
- For more characters, Customize List... from Action pop-up menu (gear).
- STIX fonts (now included in macOS) have TeX characters, useful in figures, MathML, etc.
- See also my Unicode page.
- Editing tricks:
- Full list of keyboard shortcuts.
- ⌥⌫ deletes words.
- 2-finger single tap (right-click on mouse) on a typo to choose a correct spelling is easier than retyping.
- ⌃T between 2 letters to transpose them.
- Also note the menu item Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Correct Spelling Automatically.
- Hit esc to complete word or guess next one.
- Text selection:
- 3-finger swipe (click & drag with mouse) to select text as contiguous letters.
- 1-finger double-tap (-click) to select word, 3-finger swipe (drag with mouse) for contiguous words.
- Triple-tap (-click) for paragraphs.
- Preview form input. (But for reading the output in Acrobat, save by printing to PDF, or see this article.)
- Markup in Finder, including QuickLook & Screenshot (still ⇧⌘5: replaces Grab)
- Drag for a trackpad is now buried under
System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Enable dragging
with options three finger drag, with drag lock, & without drag lock. (How can you not drag?)
- iCloud Drive
- 5 GB free
- makes all of iCloud easily accessible from all apps, Finder, iOS, Windows, & iCloud.com
- now with iCloud file sharing: choose Add People; other options just ship file copy
- Batch renaming: "Right-click" multiple selected files for menu item.
- In a home folder window, View > Show View Options > Show Library Folder.
- Screen Sharing (also in Messages) allows remote control of your Mac (even over the internet).
- ⌘⇧4 to select portion of screen for snapshot, or hit space
for camera to select window (or dock, menu bar, or desktop for all).
- To create an alias while dragging, hold down ⌥⌘. (⌥ alone creates a copy.)
- ⌘-drag to rearrange menu bar (/3rd-party).
- Apple keynote coverage
- Group FaceTime with ≤32 people (10.14.1).
- Notes now has tables & shared notes alerts.
- In Safari, I need Privacy > Cookies and website data set to "Allow from websites I visit" instead of "Allow from current website only" for me to be logged in to blog sites that use my Google ID. That means more ads, but @ least only from places I already shopped.
- Automatically install macOS updates: System Preferences > App Store.
- Preview lets you create signatures using the trackpad instead of the camera.
- To get to the Dock in Full Screen mode, go "past" the edge.
- To add a keyboard shortcut for a menu item, System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts. If you want to add a shortcut for something with an ambiguous "last name", you need to give the full Menu Title, separated by "->" (not ">") w/o spaces.
- In LaunchPad, drag an item on top of another to create a folder; hold ⌥ to get wiggly icons with X's for deletion.
- Grapher (in Applications > Other) also does equations nicely;
for arithmetic, just delete the "x=" (or whatever) & type.
You can even export the equation as (La)TeX: Use the secondary click & select the menu item.
- Quicktime Player does screen video capture.
- System Preferences > Extensions:
- Actions: Markup gives new image editing options in any viewer (Preview, Mail, ...).
- Today: widgets to customize Notification Center. (In the Today window, besides the Edit button there's also ⓘ buttons on rollover.)
- Keychain Access:
- I had some problems with login @ freetax.com:
- I used Password Assistant to make a password, because it needed special characters (see above).
- Safari wouldn't automatically create an item in Keychain Access, so I had to do it by hand.
- Safari still tried to create a new password every time I logged in. But the "🔑" to click in the Password box was buried under a Show/Hide portion of the box. So I clicked on "Show", used the contextual menu ("right-click") for that box, selected Paragraph Direction > Right to Left to get the 🔑 on the left where I could click on it, & selected the password I had made ("For this site").
- won't save "Always Show Sidebar" as a default for "Full Screen" mode, & turning it on in "Two Pages" view sometimes makes the sidebar overlap the pages instead of pushing them over.
- preference PDF > Viewing documents: Use logical page numbers doesn't always work.
- General, simple fixes for new bugs, not associated with system/app upgrade, not described on the Web:
Many other techniques (restart in Safe Mode, reinstall the system, use Disk Utility, zap the PRAM/NVRAM, etc.) work rarely & take more time.
- Restart the app. If the problems persist,
- Restart your Mac. If that doesn't work,
- Delete the preference files for that app in ~/Library/Preferences/ after quitting. Empty the trash.
You may also need to restart, if it's system-wide.
Of course, you'll lose all your preferences.